Design Thinking Through Code
You may not know it, but everyone uses design thinking processes multiple times a day. Anytime there is a problem that needs to be solved or someone’s needs to be met, you perform a process similar to the principles of design thinking. This course will equip students with 21st-century skills as they are formally introduced to design thinking through coding a game for a “client” of their choice. Students will have fun engaging with and learning about their chosen “client” and learn and practice foundational programming skills in a human-centered approach to design.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN:
- How to program a computer game using Scratch Programming
- The principles of Design Thinking and how they have been used and can be used to solve real-world problems.
- How to use Design Thinking to create a video game with a personal client (a.k.a. customer).
WHAT YOU’LL CREATE:
- Your own computer programming functions as you learn the Scratch block-coding program
- A Frogger-type (or one of your choice) game using Scratch for a client of your choice
- A computer game you can add to your resume and online portfolio.
ASSOCIATED 21st CENTURY SKILLS:
- Design thinking
- Critical thinking
- And more…
- Software Engineer/Developer
- Video Game Programmer
- Data Analyst
- Web Developer
- And many more…
- PC: Windows 7 or higher
- Mac: OSX 10.7 or higher
- Yes, Chromebook compatible
- Free Scratch account